[RC] Polar Heart Rate Monitor trouble - Kari Hanes

Last fall I purchased a basic Polar heart rate monitor, it's worked great until now. Today it would not work - the LED on the watch still says "OFF" so I'm assuming the battieries aren't dead. Does anyone have any experience with these? Is there something I'm missing? The horse and the tips of the transmitter were wet.
TIA
Kari

There are few places where the horse does not fit in; at least in my world,
as delusional as that one may be.
~  Howard Bramhall