[RC] Man v. Horse Speeds - tomnoll

Greetings:

There is no question that the horse is faster at the mile, but what about
100 miles?  I looked up the Tevis and Western States course records (same
trail, long history).  The record time for the humans is 15:40 and the
record time for the horses is 10:46.  I do not know the hold times for
Tevis when the record was set in 1981, but it seems likely that adding the
hold times to the 10:46 time would still be less than 15:40.  Horses will
probably beat the humans on the multi-day rides too.

Personally, I would like to see a few more man versus horse events.  If
the right venues and trails are chosen, it might be a nice way to build
support among the different groups of trail users.

Best Regards,

Tom Noll
SW Idaho

Every horse can be taught to walk faster than you think.  It is one of the
most important qualities of a good riding horse.  Some have it naturally,
others need to learn. On the other hand, if you are riding a tired horse,
an easy jog is more efficient, covers more groumnd with less effort.  (it's
the rebound effect of the two beat trot)
~  Dot Wiggins