[RC] Alcohol and Brenderups - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Sheila Larsen Sheila_Larsen@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Years ago I had read that alcohol mixed with water cools horses faster than
just water alone.  True, but there is a potential drawback that one should
consider.  I used it after a race and several minutes later I thought my horse
was colicking(sp?) as he kept looking at his stomach area and seemed
uncomfortable and shivering.  I went to the vet and told them the story. Well
duh, he cooled too much and was cold and the vet thought that because of the
open pores on his skin it was probably making his skin tingle. So like
everything try this at home first.  Probably this is less of an issue in the
humid east where the evaporate cooling is diminished by the humdity.

I don't own a Brenderup but have never met a person that didn't absolutely love
theirs.

will carry you a long way on a horse.
~  Frank Solano