[RC] Man v. Horse speeds - k s swigart

Ed said:

"...He completed the 22-mile course in two hours, five minutes,
and 19 seconds.."

I don't know what the rules of this race are, but this does not seem
very fast to me in light of the 2 hr 30 minute times for LD's.

Ed is making the mistake of not including the hold time in the time it
takes to complete the course.  Since we don't know how long it would
take for a horse to complete and LD course if there were no mandatory
hold, we can't use this information to answer the question.

The closest we might be able to come to getting an idea of this is to
know how long it takes horses to get to the first vet check if it is
more than 22 miles out, but even that is not totally accurate, because
one presumes that the rider may be planning to "go on" and therefore is
not riding as fast as s/he might if the race were to end at 22 miles.

That said, 2:05:19 for 22 miles also seems a little on the slow side to
me.

Additionally, in the Prescott Man against Horse endurance ride held
pretty much every year, it is my understanding that it has a tendency to
be a "toss up" as to whether it is one by a runner or a horse.  However,
this ride also has mandatory holds for the horses that it doesn't have
for the runners, as did the 50 mile race between Tom and Jenn Nice on Al
in Dubai (which Tom won after the second mandatory hold for Al was
reduced from 40 minutes to 20 minutes).

kat
Orange County, Calif.

At the end of the day maybe the definition of endurance isn't the length of
the ride but rather the spirit in which it is ridden.
~  Maryanne Stroud Gabani