From: Richardson, Jim MHR:EX [mailto:Jim.Richardson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2004 12:50 PM
To: 'steph@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: QUESTION RE LONG DISTANCE SPEED OF HORSES

I am interested in researching the long distance speed of horses. I have
been following the results of the Man vs. Horse race in Wales for some
years. It appears that this year a man has won for the first time ever

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/mid_/3801177.stm

In your estimation, was this an anomaly, with a slow group of horses
this year, or are humans with specialization and modern training methods
getting faster?

As distances get longer, would humans have an advantage? Maybe a horse
would?

For short distances I think a horse is faster. As the distances get
longer, I expect that humans approach the speed of horses, and now I
think at very long distances, humans are faster, but I'm trying to
figure out where the crossover occurs.

Can you help me with any of this? Do you know of any resources which may
have info related to my inquiry?

Thanks for the help.

Jim Richardson, Eligibility Officer
MINISTRY OF HUMAN RESOURCES    (250) 952-5214
Compliance Program 0C0, Vancouver Island South
Prevention, Compliance, and Enforcement Branch
Mailto:Jim.Richardson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Common sense should also be a part of the decision making process. If you
see someone who doesn't have any, hand them your tool box.
~ Lisa Salas - The Odd Farm