RE: [RC] Sore back while training - heidi

My pharmacist friend believes that your protocol probably causes some
degree of kidney damage.  She told me that I had probably sustained some
as well.  All I know is that it scared me enough that I quit taking more
than the recommended dosage.  And BTW, my orthopedic surgeon told me
that when he has patients for whom he prescribes elevated levels of
ibuprofen, after 2 or 3 weeks he has the patient tested for kidney
damage.

And liver damage.  I was somewhat acquainted with a couple in which the
husband actually had to have a liver transplant because of his ibuprofen
use.

The dosages are on there for a reason.  Livers and kidneys can safely
handle a certain amount of stuff, but when one exceeds their capacity by
exceeding the dose, damage occurs.  There is quite a bit of "reserve" in
both liver and kidneys, but every little bit of damage adds up over time,
and someday you may be in a crisis where you NEED that reserve, and it
isn't there!

We are all different in what we can take.  I was leery of Naproxen
(prescription strength Aleve) because I've had stomach problems with some
other products, but find that I can take the Naproxen just fine.  Even so,
I only take one a day, even though the dosage says I can take one every 12
hours.  I do sometimes take the second one after rides.  It is also better
to use a second drug than to overdose a single drug--so if I need a bit
more than that, I take Tylenol in addition instead of upping the Naproxen.
But again, not in exess of its recommended doseage.  Although you CAN
reach an overload point by taking multiple drugs as well, it is much less
likely, since each drug is broken down in a slightly different manner,
hence not overloading any one particular chemical or enzymatic pathway.

Heidi

The whole ride experience can be very hard, and at times you question why
you put yourself through such abuse. But then you remember all those
moments when you pop up over a hill and are suddenly surrounded by the most
stunning views.  It's just you and your horse and for a moment time stops
and you can hear the angels sing.  Therein lies the addiction, at least for
me.
~  Leslie Beyers