Re: [RC] Bare-Backing It - Karen Sullivan

I cruised around bareback for a number of years.  Even with a horse with a nice comfortable back...it took some riding and time to develop a nice, tough callus on either side of my tail bone!  Anyone remember that???  Now, if I ride bareback more than an hour, the skin back there gets raw....as I am usually riding in nice riding underwear. padded tights, fluffy saddle cover, on a treeless saddle, over a skito pad!!!!  I'm not as tough as I used to be!!!!

On the other hand, my set-up allows me to ride for hours and hours comfortably.  And, adding to the thread of what do you need to get started....my set up has evolved over the years.  What makes it work also are stirrups hung in a balanced position and Flexride stirrups that absorb a bit of shock.

I have a bum right knee I can attribute to riding bareback, on a friends nutty Arab/QH that ran away with me and slid on a paved road....depositing me on my chin and knee.  The knee, I am sure, has chipped cartilidge...but years of jogging stretghtened the muscles enough to compensate.....

I do remember a friend having the best bareback horse I have ever ridden.  She was an unknown breed, but looked to have some mustang and Arab.  She was relatively short backed, high withered, but also the cushiest back you have ever sat on.  I will never forget riding her up a really difficult trail with some gals....who were shocked I would do it bareback.
The ride out from the picnic area was on one of those really fun, roller-coaster trails that curved and dipped while climbing back up to the ridge.  We all trotted and cantered out; the mare was so comfortable and balanced I just sat there and enjoyed the ride while she flowed over the terrain.  It would have been murder on a horse with a sharp backbone or jolty gaits.

This was a horse I had the  opportunity to buy twice and didn't.....I initially thought she was too small.  That is one horse I truly regret not buying...I would have had enormous fun riding her bareback for years....then she would have been a great horse for my kids.
Karen