Re: [RC] Still on breeeding ............ - Kristene Smuts

OK, again in your collective opinion, what would be the sliding scale of
acceptable faults in a breeding specimen - both mare and stallion?  We're
talking here for endurance and / or general riding, not the show ring or other
cosmetic reasons.

To get the ball rolling, let's say you start with 10 points, which on the
sliding scale will work like this :
Long back -1
Thin legs -3
Good HQ +4
Pigeon toes -6
............ etc, kinda thing.  Because let's face it, no horse is perfect and
you have to live with faults, but WHAT faults are acceptable?  Also, which
acceptable fault should be the most important one to match to the mate?  For
example : long back MUST be bred to short back, etc.

Also, I know genetics and breeding in general is a crap shoot, but if one can
have an educated list of do's and don'ts then it would make life SO much easier

Kristene
South Africa

of rootbeer and soymilk at the vetchecks.
~  Libby Llop