Re: [RC] Horse canters when asked to Trot - Truman Prevatt

If he/she is avoiding something they will only be willing to canter on one lead. I've seen horses that didn't like to trot - because they were born to canter and could do it for 100 miles and not miss a beat. In fact one of the best horses I've ever had the pleasure to see rocked along at a 10 to 11 mph rolling canter for 100 miles only stopping at the vet gate where they were down in 30 seconds. But they did it on both leads.

Truman

Magnumsmom@xxxxxxx wrote:
Ed Roley wrote:

> [...]
> "
We left the vet check and I asked for a trot and he took to the canter.
> [...]
Then we trotted out. He was off on the right hind. Not bad but consistent.
> [...]

Ed,

What I have found is if my horse is not willing to trot freely, but
instead picks up a canter when I ask for a trot, he's probably
cramping in the rear.  This is, I think, more common than we think.
Could also be caused by a bit of gassy colic or something.

When on the trail, no matter how fast your horse is willing to go,
I'd suggest periodically making sure he's willing to trot AND walk
freely.  If not, there's probably something going on.

Kathy Myers
in Santa Fe, NM

--
"It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis

   "It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis.

    It is necessary to be exalted, and yet take modesty as a foundation."