[RC] Horse canters when asked to Trot - Magnumsmom

Ed Roley wrote:

> [...]
> "
We left the vet check and I asked for a trot and he took to the canter.
> [...]
Then we trotted out. He was off on the right hind. Not bad but consistent.
> [...]

Ed,

What I have found is if my horse is not willing to trot freely, but
instead picks up a canter when I ask for a trot, he's probably
cramping in the rear.  This is, I think, more common than we think.
Could also be caused by a bit of gassy colic or something.

When on the trail, no matter how fast your horse is willing to go,
I'd suggest periodically making sure he's willing to trot AND walk
freely.  If not, there's probably something going on.

Kathy Myers
in Santa Fe, NM