Re: [RC] How many saddles do folks buy for endurance? - Magnumsmom

I've bought saddles for 2 horses so far:

Magnum
1)  Cheap off brand english.  Sored his back.
2)  New Stubben Survival 31.5 cm.  Fit great.  He's still using it.

Blue
1)  Almost new Collegiate Sr. Event.  Fit for 1 year.
2)  New Stubben Kerry GX LD.  32 cm.  Works great.  We've been
using this saddle for the last 5 years.

I've found that the Crates Arabian tree western and endurance
saddles also fit Blue really well.  I just haven't had an excuse to buy
one for him.

I got lucky with Magnum's Survival.  Found one at an unbeliveably
good price on sale.  Fit the first time I put it on him and it's fit him
great ever since.  It's gotta be 10 years old now.

I didn't mean to buy Blue a Stubben... we looked at a lot of different
saddles when he got a sore back after the Shine and Shine Only 50
with the Collegiate.  However, when I tried a brand new 32 cm Stubben
Survival on him you could just see it fit by the way it settled onto his
back.  I wanted the Kerry though since the Kerry puts your leg in more
of a dressage seat.  The Survival is too much of a forward seat for me.

Interesting note:  We tried a used 32cm Kerry we found for sale and it
did not fit me or him at all.  I was quite reluctant to even try another
Stubben on him.  Figured what was the point?  It took quite a leap of
faith to order the new Kerry.  It's like the saddle molded to his back...
now it looks like it was custom made or something.  The used saddle
must have molded to a different horse and then not fit Blue irregardless
of tree size.  Weird.  The seat was also 1/2 inch larger than the one I
ended up buying.  That could have been part of the difference too.

Kathy Myers
in Santa Fe, NM