From: "Lif Strand" <lif@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2004 6:38 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Tripping

At 05:55 PM 6/10/2004, Ridecamp Guest wrote:
I have a problem:  My 6-year-old 16H Arabian
gelding that I have had for
3
years trips.  I have had him evaluated at a major
university vet school,
by an esteemed equine chiropractor, and several
vets.  No one can find
any
physiological problem.  I even gave him a year
off to see if "rest" would
make a difference.  It didn't.

First thing I always ask is:  Does this horse trip
without a rider on his
back?  If he doesn't have a large play area with
uneven ground to be
watched in, you might pony this horse for 10
miles, or better yet, if you
have a safe place to do so, ride with a buddy and
let this gelding go with
you loose.

If he doesn't trip without a rider on his back,
then I think that would
help indicate directions to explore for a
solution.

Second thing is:  Does this horse trip with a
rider other than you on his
back?

If he doesn't trip with a different rider on his
back, then this also
indicates a direction to explore for a solution.

________________________________
    Lif Strand      fasterhorses.com
            Quemado NM USA

If people would just think of the hoof as the
foundation for the horse
like
a house foundation.  when your horse plants his
foot down in the ground
and
pushes forward if the foot isn't 100% balanced
your chances of injury go
up.
~  Paula Blair

ridecamp.net information:
http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/

This weekend, many of you are at rides...25's, 50's
or 100's.  You are the
lucky ones.  I know you did whatever you had to do
to get to 'em.  I know
that each of you go to 'em with different so-called
"goals" in mind...but I
also know that each of you cares for your horse and
realize that "carrying
you" is the least of what he/she does for you.
LIFTING YOU is the true
effect.
~  Ryder

ridecamp.net information:
http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/

=====
"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus
People in Alabama swear by manure tea as an herbal remedy for colds.
~ Lisa Redmond