Re: [RC] [RC] ? belmont-bloodlines-racing-cmk - RUNAWAYWOM

another question.   anybody ever matched up a good racing arabian against a
thoroughbred?  just to see?  i was curious. if so, what distance would be a
good test, i mean a track race, not 50 or 100!  :-)

Ed,
 In Oleno, High Springs Florida, we used to have a Pony Express ride. You
needed a team of 3 horses and riders to ride a 5 mile loop through the woods
with the riders passing off the saddle bags(mail) to the next rider at the
starting point. I did this race every year and won. The first year I used one
Arab (G.F. Fazeer) and two other friends rode theirs. The next year I rode 2 of
my Arabs with a friend riding her Arab as the second horse, we won. The third
year I rode all 3 of my Arabs, jumping from horse to horse at the start(wasn't
easy).
My horse Spirit dumped me twice on the trail when he was spooked by some deer
running by. I won, my overall time with all three horse was the fastest.
    The fastest single time was run on a thoroughbred, luckily that team only
had one fast horse. They don't have the Pony Express anymore because they were
tired of me winning every year. But as my trainer said "you did your homework"
Roxanne
You don't have to be a 100-mile rider or a multi-day rider to be an
endurance rider, but if you want to experience the finest challenges our
sport has to offer, you need to do both of those.
~ Joe Long