[RC] Tendon Problem re - Roger Rittenhouse

Hello merrillk,

How did it happen? too much work? shoeing? long toes no heels? It
would be good to find out why this is a problem on both legs.

 Did you get an ultra sound study done? This is a MUST for all tendon
 issues. That way you know for sure what is wrong and just how bad .
 X-RAYs  may be in order to verify any joint bone problems.

 Flexor Tendons.. long heal process.
 I had a few.. I did not stall. I alternated with poultices and
 wraps.. light with lots of padding .. many times the wrap will cause
 more damage.
 Turn out but hopefully will not run around.
 I do NOT like bute.. problem is they feel no pain and will run off
 etc..best to hurt and limp then not run - trot around.. pain is for a
 reason..means stand still walk slow etc.

 I prefer the alternative herbs etc to bute ..many out there.
 Can you find an alternative holistic vet? How about Chinese
 medicine
 I use some really great Chinese herbs for legs - tendons etc.

 You might look to OHC.. oriental herb company.. on line. Human stuff
 but it all works well for horses too.

I can give you a number of TCM herb supplier in Fla.. with a
 recommendation of what to try.. but then I cannot practice medicine
 hehe :)_   Jing-tang herbal  352 591 2141. Tell them you what you have
 and ask about Relief Salve 9010  and maybe Tendon Ligament Formula
 2050. I used this when my horse was hurt with a check ligament
 issue.

 The ice route is over .. hosing with a pressure stream is like a
 massage. But heat will keep the increased blood flowing. However if
 you are still showing lots of heat in the legs.. ice may still be
 in order. Any vet in the area have thermograph camera?

 Another product I really like - you can rent them, is the CENTURION
 Mini Pulse magnet boot. I have one use when ever things are not
 right. The active pulsed magnetic field therapy does work, while I
 have not seen the static magnets do anything.  I get no kick back -
 call them 800 387 8326

 Hope some of this helped

--
Roger R                         mailto:roger@xxxxxxxxxxx

I'm a fairly new rider with an 14 year old horse who seems to be
built for endurance so, I thought I would give it a try. We were
scratched before we started our last ride last weekend for a
subtle lameness in what seemd to be his right front leg. The vet
left it up to me & I didn't see any reason to start in that
shape. My vet came out 3 days later & diagnosed it as flexor
tendon injury although he seems to have the same amont of mild
discomfort in both front. Her suggestion was cold therapy
followed with dmso, a poultice & wrap his legs. My question is,
after I take it off, how long do I wait to repeat the process???
I have done the complete cycle twice & after hosing off the
poultice tonight he seemed really stiff so, I gave him a little
Bute. do I keep his legs wrapped between the tratment? should his
legs feel warm when I remove the poultice? Should they be warm
after a cold water hosing for 5 minutes?? I want to do what's
best for him.. but,I'm not sure what that is...Help

Common sense should also be a part of the decision making process. If you
see someone who doesn't have any, hand them your tool box.
~ Lisa Salas - The Odd Farm