Re: [RC] The 'X' Factor (was: Mitochondiral DNA, etc.) - k s swigart

Probably a lot or records that are not available - nor could be
recreated in any reliable fashion.

Not difficult to recreate at all--just go through the lists of horses
that
start rides and do a pedigree breakdown on all of them.

Unfortuantely, this does not give you access to one of the most useful
breeding statistics that can be had about TB horses: percentage of
starters from foals, and it especially doesn't give you any information
about percentage of starters from foals that were bred with the
intention to start (in the TB world, the presumption is that everybody
is breeding their foals with the intention of racing them, and mostly
they are right, very few people breed purebred TBs for anything other
than racing....although I did :) the one that I bred, I bred to be a
jumper, since both her mother and father could jump the moon; however,
she's my endurance horse).

Knowing how may were produced but never started is essential to knowing
whether a pedigree can statistically be considered a success.

kat

You don't have to be a 100-mile rider or a multi-day rider to be an
endurance rider, but if you want to experience the finest challenges our
sport has to offer, you need to do both of those.
~ Joe Long