Re: [RC] Overtraining - Truman Prevatt

Over training first started to get play in the human sports world in the mid 90's particularly after Dan O'Brian - the world record holder in the decathlon could not even manage to make the US Olympic team in '96 - which meant the best in the world in the event could not even finish third in the US trials. I actually saw that trials and O'Brian looked awful. It wasn't a case of bad luck - he was horrible.

It's a fairly complex situation and it is different for each individual but it results in the athlete not being able to perform anywhere near his capability - he's simply "too tired." There are some biochemical indicators from what I remember from the O'Brian incident - but I don't remember what.

I suspect the same will apply to our horses. There was a good article in the EN some years back - maybe '97 on this in endurance horses. At least in humans there is a fine line between being peaked and being over the peak and in to the condition of over training. When you go over this peak, you are more prone to injury, your performance suffers and you are more prone to catch whatever bug is going around.

I also expect predicting the threshold of over training is complex - depending on age, the base physical condition, etc.

Truman

April wrote:
What constitutes over-training?  I assume you mean over-conditioning.

--
"The person of superior integrity does not insist upon his integrity

"The person of superior integrity does not insist upon his integrity.

  For this reason, he has integrity. The person of inferior integrity

  never loses sight of his integrity.  For this reason, he lacks integrity."