From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of April
Sent: Sunday, June 06, 2004 9:47 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Overtraining

What constitutes over-training?  I assume you mean over-conditioning.

Here is an example.

Tanna did a 55 then a 25 a week later, then got 3 weeks off. Back
to work for a week, then off for two weeks due to a mild injury
unrelated to conditioning or competition, hopefully back to work
tomorrow. My weekly conditioning regime is as follows:

Sunday 15-25 mile ride.
1-2 other rides during the week 12-15 miles each. (depends on the
length of the Sunday ride)
Total mileage for the week 35-50 miles. Average speed 5-7 mph
(excluding warm-up, cool down, mini simulated vet checks/holds).

He gets 1 week rest before a competition with a short 3-5 mile
ride the day before competition. 2 weeks rest after a 50. All
rest is pasture rest. He is never stalled.

Is this over/under/or just-right conditioning? For more
background, this is our second season, taking it slow, back of
the pack. Planning 8 rides total for the season. Tanna is 10 with
a very good LSD base on him as he has been used for long distance
riding (not competition) for 6 years or so. His brain was way
behind his body, so we didn't get started in competition until he was 9.

FWIW, I feel comfortable with this conditioning schedule for
Tanna. I am giving a real-world example to hopefully start a
dialog. I find these discussions on conditioning and rest very
enlightening.

Thanks,
April
Nashville, TN