Re: [RC] The "X" Factor (was: Mitochondiral DNA, etc.) - Truman Prevatt

In the TB world, they have been collecting statistics and keeping track
of pedigrees for centuries, so it is possible to actually link pedigree
to performance in an pretty objective way.  If we want to be able to do
this with endurance horses, we are going to have to collect a whole lot
more information about both pedigree and performance before we will be
able to do so.
Probably a lot or records that are not available - nor could be recreated in any reliable fashion.

It is entirely possible that the reason that CMK horses appear often in
the pedigree of arabian endurance horses is because arabian horses of
CMK breeding are generally not very successful in the show ring and/or
race track and consequently are more likely to even START an endurance
ride because they don't have any other viable career :).

Owners of valuable "top pedigree" show horses are unwilling to "risk"
their horses at endurance rides.  It is possible that if they chose to
do so, that these horses would easily defeat the "crop outs" that we are
currently using for the sport :)  Not saying that this is the case, just
that we don't have enough data to say that it isn't.
Bingo.

kat
Orange County, Calif.

--
"The person of superior integrity does not insist upon his integrity

"The person of superior integrity does not insist upon his integrity.

  For this reason, he has integrity. The person of inferior integrity

  never loses sight of his integrity.  For this reason, he lacks integrity."