[RC] Fadder/Daughter Ride - Maggie Mieske

Well, it's only two weeks until Hopkins Creek and we can't play around any more.  We've done lots of short rides with Luna and have picked up the pace but not the distance.  Today we went riding.  NELSON went riding with us.  :)  In tights!!  And a helmet.  And he rode Malik this time as I wanted to practice more cantering on Luna.  So, today we conditioned a new horse and new (old) rider.  We went out for about 2 hours and did somewhere between 8 and 9 miles.  We did lots of everything, walking, fast walking, trotting, faster trotting, big trotting and cantering.  Nelson isn't used to Malik's big loping stride.  I am not used to Luna's short (er) neck.  It's not really short.  Just shorter than her dad's.  Took me awhile to get used to being on her.  I can actually reach her ears without bending her neck all the way around to my leg!  It was a wonderful day in spite of the bugs with a little breeze which helped that.  It is just SUCH a THRILL, absolutely a thrill to ride this filly next to her father (who considers his daughter HIS mare and needed a few swats on the neck from Nelson before he settled into his do-de-do attitude).  To have brought this filly from a gangly legged little bundle of naughty to this sweet, willing to do anything for you, ready to hit the distance trail mare is something that is indescribable.  She is finally getting it all together.  We will do a couple more of these rides and then one longer one next weekend and I think she will be more than ready for 25 miles at Hopkins Creek.  Today we got to see lots of barking dogs and rattling trucks and even bikes, plus rushing water as some of them are still fairly full here after last month's 10 inches of rain.  We even went to the Muskegon River and she went in the water for me... we had to discuss it first.  In this respect, she is like her father.  She doesn't actually refuse, rather "suggests" an alternative.  :)  But when her suggestions didn't coincide with what I wanted, she simply gave it up and did it.  She even splashed a bit and sipped a small amount of water.  She got hosed down and recovered fairly well considering that we trotted and cantered the last half mile home.  I don't usually do that but today, she was so eager and having so much fun that I hated to ever deny her a brisk trot even close to home.
Anyway, it was quite the joy to ride and share this whole thing with Nelson.  He is hoping to ride Malik with us on the 25 at Hopkins Creek.  He doesn't give himself enough credit for how fit he really is.  He is always worried that if he gets hurt, it will harm us financially (duh).  But Malik behaved well for him and gave him just enough trouble to keep it interesting but never dangerous.  Nelson even cantered him today and I haven't seen Nelson canter any horse in a looooong time.  So, watch for us out there at Hopkins Creek this month (Father's Day, in fact...Malik's present and Nelson's, too).  Badar will also be joining us for the Father's Day ride.  Won't that be too cool???
Miles of Smiles,
Maggie Mieske
http://arabianquest.com/samaha_arabians.htm
"So many of our dreams seem impossible, then improbable, then inevitable."  Christopher Reeve