Re: [RC] To breed or not to Breed - heidi

The bloodlines I am talking about  ( many old Polish and Crabbet)
are some of the very same ones that crop up
in a number of extremely athletic endurance Arabs.....so just becuase a
horse
won at Halter, does not preclude it from going on to have an athletic
career.

As I stated in my post, some good horses do get pinned at halter.  But
they are the exception, not the rule.

I really do think we agree that it comes more down to the
individual....rather
than the bloodlines; although some folks have great success knowing how
traits are passed down (and I willl never claim to be a breeder, or
expert on
Arab bloodlines)...i am only speaking from what I observe....

Sure, it is the individual to a degree--but my point is that if the
pedigree has few skeletons in it, the odds of GETTING a successful outcome
are quite high, whereas if the pedigree is a mixed bag, the results will
be all over the map.  So it is both.  I will happily RIDE a good
individual with a mixed-bag pedigree--but I will not BREED same!

For every bloodline someone just raves about...I have seen extremely
badly conformed individuals.....bad temprements, other problems. A lot
of people seem to
be blind to their horses faults, or the faults in a breeding program.

Sure.  But it is a matter of percentages, and also a matter of which ones
breeders use to go on with.

Gosh, I don;t have the books in front of me, but sure remember some
photos of early
imports (even CMK horses), that have just awful conformation
faults.....and some
extremely lovely horses.  Coffee has not kicked in and the names escape
me at the
monent......but I would like to do this sometime.....(go through old
photos of examples
of  revered stallions and mares and point out what I think are the
conformation faults,
and get your feedback......it all helps me understand this all.) (And I
am quite willing
to admit when I am wrong! <g>

Yes, there ARE conformation faults there--where else did the modern horses
get them?  But when one puts them side by side with modern photos, one
wants to go back and embrace the old ones, faults and all, because their
faults were far less glaring.  Also understand that the old photos were
often "snapshots by Mom" whereas the new ones are almost exclusively
carefully posed professional shots.  You have to look at photographic
angles as well.  I have several hundred shots of the "old" horses in my
files, and some of them indeed had their issues.  But as a group, they
were eminently rideable--not something I can say of today's "fad"
breeding.  My point is that now horses are being selected and bred on
BECAUSE of glaring faults that are being prized in the show ring, whereas
back then, folks largely tended to be much more honest about good
conformation (at least to themselves, if they didn't admit it to others)
and tried to breed away from faults.

I am talking about long, weak backs,  extremely high croups,
etc.....(horses not falling
into that ideal, balanced 3 circle diagram).

I can find a few long backs on the old horses, for sure--but nowhere NEAR
what I find in today's horses.  And many of them had loins that could
support the length.  VERY few horses of any era meet the "perfect
three-circle" standard.  But we are going farther from it in today's show
horses, whereas the older horses were less extreme, as a group.

HOWEVER, another thought came to me in the night......as far as actually
breeding 3 year
old Arabs.....isn't the current thinking that Arabs don't mature until
age 5 or older....and that
the bones in the back are the last to mature?  So wouldn't it follow
that breeding a horse that
is not finished growing, a bad idea?

Again, you have to look at the individual.  I certainly have some that I
would not consider breeding until they are 4.  But I've also had quite a
few that I've bred at 3, with no problems.  They are not heavy in foal
until they are 4, at an age where others are being subjected to weight on
their backs and concussion.  Although a foal is there 24/7, it is also
well-balanced and does not pound on the back like a rider does.  It has a
"suspension system" that distributes the weight well.

So while I agree that in some cases one should wait, I don't agree with
your blanket statement that it is a bad idea.

Heidi

One would think that logic would prevail. But then, if logic did prevail,
men would ride sidesaddle.
~  Bob Morris