Re: [RC] To breed or not to Breed - Karen Sullivan

----- Original Message -----
From: <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

If I dare make a rash comment here, I would submit that perhaps it is the
"impressive bloodlines" that may well be at fault, since you follow that
comment with the mare being a halter winner.

Hello Heidi,

The bloodlines I am talking about  ( many old Polish and Crabbet)
are some of the very same ones that crop up
in a number of extremely athletic endurance Arabs.....so just becuase a
horse
won at Halter, does not preclude it from going on to have an athletic
career.

I really do think we agree that it comes more down to the
individual....rather
than the bloodlines; although some folks have great success knowing how
traits are passed down (and I willl never claim to be a breeder, or expert
on
Arab bloodlines)...i am only speaking from what I observe....

For every bloodline someone just raves about...I have seen extremely badly
conformed individuals.....bad temprements, other problems. A lot of people
seem to
be blind to their horses faults, or the faults in a breeding program.

Gosh, I don;t have the books in front of me, but sure remember some photos
of early
imports (even CMK horses), that have just awful conformation faults.....and
some
extremely lovely horses.  Coffee has not kicked in and the names escape me
at the
monent......but I would like to do this sometime.....(go through old photos
of examples
of  revered stallions and mares and point out what I think are the
conformation faults,
and get your feedback......it all helps me understand this all.) (And I am
quite willing
to admit when I am wrong! <g>

I am talking about long, weak backs,  extremely high croups, etc.....(horses
not falling
into that ideal, balanced 3 circle diagram).

HOWEVER, another thought came to me in the night......as far as actually
breeding 3 year
old Arabs.....isn't the current thinking that Arabs don't mature until age 5
or older....and that
the bones in the back are the last to mature?  So wouldn't it follow that
breeding a horse that
is not finished growing, a bad idea?
Karen

It is how we "feel" deep inside that matters, cause each of us knows the
truth, regardless of how we try make it complicated.  It just isn't.
~ Frank Solano