[RC] To breed or not to Breed - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Jody jody.buttram@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Well, now here is one I can relate to.  I have a string of proven
mares and bloodlines. What I did was started with one mare when she was 3 that
I was raising.  When they turn 3 I bred them.  That way the 3 to 4 year old
year is productive.  They aren't old
enough to race, but you still get some use out of them while
they are growing up.  Then after the baby arrives, you start the
conditioning after weaning.  That leaves the last half of the 4
year old year and into the spring of their 5 year old year to
leg them up.  When 5, start the slow distance riding at rides.
If they have a filly, well then you can do the cycle all over
again.  I currently have an 8 year old mare that is competing and
doing very well, multi days, 100's and faster 50's.  I have a
4 year old mare that she raised that has produced yet another
filly at the barn.  So, what I ended up with is a 3 generation
mare line that is from proven blood and a proven mare.  Another
plus is that you don't have to stop riding them after they are
going to breed.  You have the baby upfront.  Key here is to be
sure you have an established bloodline and mare to help ensure
the quality.

Jody and the three generation girls--Jets Irish Rose, Jets
Gaelic Storme and now....Petit Jets Legacy (Squirrel)

I can tell you after sleeping in a tent, then in my truck, then in the back
of a trailer, then in a gneck trailer w/no LQ, and now in the new-to-me LQ
one, you don't sleep any better the night before in nicer digs - you're
just more comfortable while you're lying there obsessing :)
~  Tina Hicks