[RC] To breed or not to breed - Becky Rohwer

 THAT is the question I want to toss into the ring.

 I have a 16 yo mare that had two foals before she was 8.  She was bred
when 9 and sloughed the foal somewhere around 2 to 3 months we think.  She
is my main endurance horse and right now my only rideable horse.  I have a 5
yo gelding that has a hock problem so currently he is not being used, and
possibly may never be usable.

 I have always wanted to breed this mare.  She is a Tezero (arab stud)
daughter which in the northwest has been a very popular arab stud line for
endurance.  So I am trying to decide if it is a smart move to breed or not.
Here are some of my pros and cons.

 Pro
      Although she is not a "great" horse, she has been a very good solid
competitor with good breeding for the sport of endurance.  Incidently she is
morgan on the other side.
      She is a calm mare with a good disposition, as mares go.
      I am probably thinking of breeding with more of a "gee wouldn't it be
cool to have a baby from the mare that has been my best buddy for 8 years
now"  sentimental, mushy reasons.
      There are several nice studs in the area that are affordable for me
to have her bred to.

 Con
      Will mess up my riding season for most of next year as it would
probably be a June baby.
      The possibility of something happening to my mare during pregancy or
birth.
      I don't have great facilities for having a foal, but hey horses do it
in the wild all the time.
      It will take many years for the up and coming foal to be usable as an
endurance horse if it is a good prospect at all.
      If my currently lame gelding will not be usable and something happens
to my mare (she would be in her 20ies by the time I could start competing
with the new foal) I could be out of competition until the baby is ready to
go.  Good/bad??? Could go either way.
      The cost of breeding, foaling, vetting, feeding just to get to the
point of being usable.

 So I could put time, money, and effort into getting a baby that may or may
not be a good endurance horse
   OR
 I could just continue to ride my mare, save my money and at some point
when it is time just look for a new best buddy to continue down the trail
on.

 I guess I am just wondering how other riders with mares think about this
subject.

 Becky R. - Montana and RS Picara

I think home work is the key to having a healthy partner.
~  Steven Proe