From: <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <Elkenchild@xxxxxxx>
Cc: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2004 10:34 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Appys/arabs

Thanks for that! I'm breeding my appy mare to an arab/appy stallion
tommorrow  (so excited!!!), but you wouldn't believe how much crap I'm
getting for it.  People saying "ewww, arab, why not some quarterhorse?"
Gag me with a spoon.  I've never personally had a good arab experience,
but I think all the ones I've  looked at have been the cheap hot ones
that no one wants, so hopefully breeding  my own goes well! Do people
find arab prejudices all over, or is that a  eastside of the NW
phenomenon.

Arab prejudice seems to me to be a fairly widespread but relatively modern
phenomenon.  When I was growing up, the ranchers were quite happy to ride
Arab crosses, because the Arabs that were available were solid working
horses that could cover more ground in a day than most of the regular
ranch horses.  It has been the modern show ring that has changed a part of
the breed, and has changed the public perception of the breed.  Many of us
still breed the old-fashioned working kind, but the public thinks of Arabs
as the hotheaded show sorts, rather than the cow horses and trail horses
and various sorts of working horses of the 40s and 50s.

Heidi

You don't have to be a 100-mile rider or a multi-day rider to be an
endurance rider, but if you want to experience the finest challenges our
sport has to offer, you need to do both of those.
~ Joe Long

Why should I look good if I don`t smell good?
~  author unknown