Re: [RC] [RC] appys and history - heidi

I also read somewhere, that not only did the army dismantle the program
but tried to kill all the horses.

Yes, they did kill some.

Gen Patton also saved the Lippizan stallions from the Nazi's.

As well as a few individuals of some other breeds, if I recall rightly.

This is sooooo interesting, I wish history in school had been.

Too bad teachers aren't passionate about it.  I learned more history due
to my passion for horses than I did from the teachers--but I was fortunate
to have parents who were passionate about it, and they encouraged me to
research history as it had to do with horses.  And by learning it that
way, I often think I got a better handle on it than many of my classmates.
By learning about European horse breeds and the influence of Arabs and
Barbs, I learned about stuff like the Crusades, and the Muslim invasions
of Europe, etc.

I have to tell another funny story.  When I was in the 8th grade studying
world history, I had a fairly upbeat and wacky teacher who really did try
to make it interesting.  He used to put terms up on the board that we had
to find in our text and define, but sometimes he would throw in a ringer.
One day he put up "Bucephalos."  Nobody else had a clue who that was, but
I raised my hand--that was Alexander the Great's horse, and translated,
the name means "head of the ox"--he got that name because of his facial
marking.  Anyway, Mr. Sallaz said I was the only student in his teaching
career who had known that.

Well, several years later, my dad's secretary's daughter had Mr. Sallaz in
the 8th grade for world history.  When I found out who her teacher was, I
told her all about Bucephalos.  (She was a horsey kid, and hung around our
barn, and even got a half-Arab colt from us that she later endurance rode
some.)  Sure enough, one day he put the name up on the board.  LeeAnn
raised her hand, and said, "That's Alexander the Great's horse!"  She
gleefully reported later that Mr. Sallaz had bellowed, "YOU!!  You know
Heidi Smith!!"  <g>

Heidi

Arabians were bred for years primarily as a war horse and those
requirements are similar to what we do today with endurance riding.
~  Homer Saferwiffle