Re: [RC] Appys - heidi

And, to make this endurance related... someone asked why one would want
Arab x Appy for endurance rather than foundation Appy.  For
some of us Arabians are THE breed of choice.  Not just for endurance,
but for everything.  I have had Arabians & been breeding them
longer than I've been in endurance. So, the Arab x Appy is in
hopes of the best of both (and I, for one, would choose the most
"using"-type Appys for the cross that I could, just as I stick
with traditional "using" Arabians in my breeding program).  :)

That's something that seems to escape a lot of people.  Someone will say
that such-and-such a cross is good for this or that, but in fact, it is a
matter of crossing parents of each breed who are capable of doing the job.

Dad's JonBoy was a decent endurance horse, by a successful endurance
Arabian and out of a foundation Appy mare.  My stallion Surrabu also sired
Surrablue--another Arab x Appy cross--who has gone over 10,000 miles.  But
would I expect that if I took a Scottsdale halter Arab stallion with no
body, toothpick legs, no feet, a geeky neck, and a freaky mind and bred
him to an Appy halter mare that looked like a spotted halter QH with a
butt as broad as two axe handles, a long back with no withers, a downhill
slope, and 1300 lbs on double-0 feet that couldn't move out of her own
tracks?  I think not....

One has to go back to the rideable foundation of ANY breed to consistently
get good riding stock--whether breeding purebreds or crossbreds....

Heidi

One of the great joys of being a pompous idiot is that you can do and think
whatever you want.
~  Homer Safferwiffle