Re: [RC] [RC] Drinking on trail (human) -- Camelbak question - Flora Hillman

I won't carry a camelbak on my back because the weight will throw me off balance/tire me/rub me after a while, and also will impede me when I get down and run alongside my horse.  If I start getting tired from carrying extra weight, I'm less apt to give my horse his breaks from carrying me!

So.... my horse carries my camelbak for me -- the water bladder being tucked into my cantle pack where it fits quite nicely.  The drinking tube is long enough to easily reach my mouth, and  I use an "ID badge"  (alligator jaw) type clip on the end of the tube which only takes one hand to unclip and will easily clip onto anything in the vicinity (saddle, pad, pack, me, etc).

This way I have easy, fast access to water, don't have to fuss with bottles, and don't have to worry about a water containment system weighing down my shoulders or back.  The only bottle I carry is filled with Pedialyte (human electrolytes already premixed) which I drink  when my horse is also drinking.  I also carry a package of Emergen-C which I can mix up in the bottle if needed.