Re: [RC] Drinking on trail (human) -- Camelbak question - Kristen A Fisher

I think you can adjust the fit of the pack to keep you from being off
balance; as someone mentioned it has adjustable arm straps and chest and
waist straps. I think the Camelbaks are great for several reasons:

1) you only have to use one hand for a split second to put the spout in your
mouth to drink (good for when you need to "support your horse with the
bridle"
2) the fewer things attached to your saddle (like bottle holders) the fewer
things there are to cause massive wide spread bruising
3) I have yet to see a Camelbak on the ground, yet see many water bottles
(both temporary and permanent) on the ground throughout a ride, which when
you are riding private/public lands can cause a huge littering problem IMO

The thing I did not like about them was the constant sloshing at the trot -
now I squeeze the excess air out of the pack after filling it, so as you
drink the bag collapse on itself and is much more quiet.  You can fill them
with anything (including ice if it is a hot ride) and as someone mentioned
you can put a frozen Blue Pack inside the bladder area to keep them cool
too. Also, you can fit a few little things in the "pack" area such as a
stethoscope, knife-type tool, matches, glow stick, whistle, and foil blanket
plus maps and the like without having to attach more to your saddle. I
really hate things bouncing around on my saddle and my person and this has
helped me solve that.

Oh and the person that mentioned you can land on your back and they don't
rupture - they will also pad your fall a little bit too (experience
talking).

Kristen in TX