Re: [RC] Elytes for Dehydration - Humans Vs Horses - Karen Sullivan

sorry to probably ask this again.....but where do you get it?
Karen
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 12:02 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Elytes for Dehydration - Humans Vs Horses

While it is true that horses loss a concentration of electrolytes in sweat that is closer to the plasma concentrations than humans, humans still lose electrolytes in the sweat - so replacement becomes necessary in extended excerise.

Emergen-C or any other replacement is taken with water and in most peoples case I expect plain water is also taken in during the exercise.

The first time I used it was on a 100 miler. It turned out to be a hot one - 85 degress and a bit humid in a ride in FL in Feb. I carried two water bottles. One with Emergen-C and the other plain water. I was going to "make myself drink" both between checks. I was having issues getting dehydrated. I found I didn't have to make myself drink. I wanted to drink.

On the other hand I found that my 25 mile plus blatter was reduced to about 10 miles. That can be a real pain at 75 mile s on riding a 16 hand horse ;-). Not only was I drinking I was having to get rid of water. It sure kept my system well flushed. At the end of the ride I have never felt better.

Talking with a biochemist friend I expect I was actually taking in a little too much of the Emergen-C and it was causing me to drink a lot more to flush it out. The body will dump excess electrolytes. From that point I cut the Emergen-C in about half - half a packet in the electrolyte bottle per loop. And that seems to be about right. However, on really hot rides like we can get here, I kick it back up to a packet per loop.

I also noticed the same phenomenon of drinking and peeing with my horse on a ride out west several years ago. I pretty much followed my normal protocol with electrolytes. He was sucking water down like you wouldn't believe and he peed about every 7 miles and it was always nice and clear. The next day I cut him back a little on the electrolytes and he peed less often and wasn't drinking every water hole dry.

Truman

Kristen A Fisher wrote:
OK, I have a question. I read research had shown that human sweat has a lower concentration of elytes that human blood, so when humans sweat the electrolyte level in the blood is more concentrated. Giving a person more elytes further concentrates elyte blood levels which can excess fluids to move into the brain with potentially serious complications.

So is the trick to Emergen-C working is that it is in conjunction with liquids?

Kristen in TX

--

"The person of superior integrity does not insist upon his integrity.

  For this reason, he has integrity. The person of inferior integrity

  never loses sight of his integrity.  For this reason, he lacks integrity."

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]-->