[RC] Borium or studs for Tevis? - Karen

Don't make any major changes in your shoes that you have NOT practiced with
before hand, over similar footing. Borium and studs grab so different than
standard shoes. You would be putting a very different torque on the horses
legs, and asking for a lameness in my opinion.

Personally, I think that Easyboots are the way to go. You just need to get the horse used to them ahead of time. You can take them off if you need to, or put them on just for certain sections. Most horses adapt well to them, if given the opportunity ahead of time.

I've heard just as many people wish they had not put borium on for Tevis, as were glad that they did. I've also heard several people say that they did not finish Tevis because they put pads on their horse just for that ride, and since the horse wasn't used to going in that kind of terrain with pads on, they slipped or else over-extended something and came up lame. So, Jonni's advice is definitely worth following.

If you have Easyboots on all 4's, it is like having 4WD up and down and thru some of those rocky sections, especially going over Cougar Rock, plus you'll feel safer on all of the pavement crossings. The way I look at Cougar Rock is that it is just a pimple in the scheme of things, as far as the entire trail goes -- I figure that if my horse can't go over that little bitty pimple then he probably can't do the rest of the ride. It's just a small obstacle, and not as big a deal as everybody makes it out to be. It's not worth getting intimidated over, but with all the rest that Tevis has to offer, I can't see being scared off over a little bitty pimple <G>. Of course, there is nothing wrong with going around either. I don't think I have a better ride photo than that one though. Don't do it just for the photo, do it because it's there, and you can! yeeeeeehaw!!!! :+)))

Karen
in NV

If you treat an Arab like a Thoroughbred, it will behave like a Quarter
horse. ~ Libby Llop