Re: [RC] Heidi - Lif Strand

At 09:05 PM 5/31/2004, heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Another thing that utterly amazed me going through the process is how many
people from the agency they would send to EVERY session--we had two or
three rounds with the judge, and each time, the agency sent half a dozen
people, most of whom never said a word, and some of whom were not even
connected with the case.

I am working on issues with the USFS for our county government here in Catron County NM, and what you say is very true. We have had meetings where we needed one representative from each of the federal and state agencies, and the USFS sends 10. I went to a meeting last month that was very controlled - environmentalists and scientists (only two from USFS in the 9 person panel) - and the "audience" was by invitation only and we were to sit, shut up and listen. I had to push hard to be included as this concerned the over 2 million acres of Gila National Forest in our County - they didn't want a County rep there!

I was told there were five approved audience members and it took some doing to get in there to be the sixth. The morning of the meeting, I counted USFS personnel in the audience - 29.

   Lif Strand      fasterhorses.com
           Quemado NM USA

Riding alone is when you teach a horse all the "tools" and "cues" he needs
to handle the trail, to hold a speed, deal with hills, etc. It's also where
you develop the "bond" that causes him to "defer" to you before losing his
cool.
~ Jim Holland