Re: [RC] Heidi - Cora

I am by no means a HARPIE!!!...Cora
----- Original Message -----
From: <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <CrazysadieG@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, May 31, 2004 5:23 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Heidi

Well, I read all the material, did some searching.  You never sent the
links  to me as you offered, although I waited patiently.  So a horse
died.  S-----t  happens.  You were unfortunate enough to get sued.  I
was more interested in  the law suits from the Oregon Forestry.  That
doesn't seem to me to have been  good for the AERC image, but everything
moved on just fine without you.   What  was so painful about that?  I
just wanted to know what all the little "hints"  I'd heard were all
about.  'Twasn't such a big deal.  I thought you had  singlehandly
massacred the entire horse population.  Just wanted to find out what
happened.  Too bad you couldn't have printed the posts yourself though.
Sadie

Your e-mail addy fits.  I told you that I would send you references (not
links--I prefer real people with real identities, as the Internet is not
always the be-all and the end-all) about what happened IF you identified
yourself.  You have not done so.  I am still "waiting patiently" (good
thing I wasn't holding my breath, or I would have died of lack of oxygen
by now).  Therefore I stand by my previous conclusion that your aim here
is to hurt, not to become informed.  Shame on you.  You clearly prefer
"hints" to facts.

Additionally, although you apparently read one set of links
(congratulations on figuring out that the vet board issue "wasn't such a
big deal"--apparently your "hints" were highly overrated), you clearly did
not read the other set.  There were never ANY "law suits" with "Oregon
Forestries."  The entire issue was with the USFS.  And I reiterate--if you
want the facts, I am not hard to find.  If you would have the courtesy to
tell me who YOU are, and why it is so important for you to know all this
stuff, I would HAPPILY get you in touch with REAL PEOPLE (not links) who
can fill you in on the details.  For the record, the links you posted were
to the administrative levels that one is required to go through to even
GET a complaint to the judicial level when one files a complaint with a
federal agency.  One does not expect to be upheld in these hearings--the
bureaucrats are very careful to back each other.  It is the judicial level
that matters, and we prevailed there.  But one has to run the gauntlet of
administrative hearings to earn the right to take one's case to a judge
(in this case, a federal magistrate, since one is dealing with a federal
agency).  It is little wonder that more people don't stand up for their
rights, given the complexity of the process.  I knew it was complex going
in, and gave it a shot anyway.  And I prevailed, but at what a price.  But
I was not alone--there were two other ride managers in the fray with me.
And it was one of them who actually deserves the credit, because HE was
the one who originally documented the fact that the USFS was breaking its
own rules, and it was his ride that was first attacked, not one of mine.
I testified in his hearing, and he in turn provided the excellent research
for my subsequent trip through the bureaucratic maze.  I was just the one
who went to bat.

As for everything moving on just fine without me--I don't suppose the
thought ever occurred to you that perhaps ONË reason that things ARE still
moving along is because I (and the handful of other ride managers who put
their hearts and souls into this conflict) had the guts to stand up and
defend our rights???  And because folks like Jerry Fruth and other
stalwarts have fought similar battles in other areas?  Actually, I'm one
of the lightweights on this issue--I saw mine through to its conclusion,
and once was enough.  The others are still fighting (I doubt that they
would agree with your assessment that things are moving along "just
fine"--only that they are still moving along), but at least the methods of
intimidation from the feds in that area seem to have diminished
considerably.  They now hold civilized meetings in conference rooms and
correspond--before, they barged in on the other RM that initially stood up
for our rights with guns on their hips.  If I had even a small role in
bringing that step toward civilizing the situation about, I'm glad to have
done my small part.

I also don't suppose you have asked yourself what good the "AERC image"
would be without trails...  And where our trails would be if no one stood
up to federal agencies when they get out of line....  To my way of
thinking, the "AERC image" has been greatly enhanced by the people who
HAVE had the guts to stand up and fight for what they believe in.  Please
edify us as to what YOU have done to stand up for AERC with regard to
trail issues, besides post nasty posts to ridecamp about others who have
given it their best shot?

I suppose that in a backhanded way I should thank you for your attempt to
vilify me.  The response (both from the stalwart people who lived through
these nightmares with me, know the facts, and stood by me every inch of
the way as well as from the ridecampers who don't know me from Adam but
who have the integrity to realize that the accusations leveled don't fit
the person who posts and who are sick of this garbage) has been
heartwarming.  God bless each and every one of you who has taken the time
to post privately.  The endurance family is truly special, even if it does
have an occasional harpie.

Heidi

When you ask a Quarter horse for something he says - Sure -  and when you
ask an Arab for something he says  - Why? -
~  Heidi Smith

I drink a 50/50 mix of rootbeer and soymilk at the vetchecks.
~  Libby Llop