Re: [RC] human electrolytes, was tums - Glenda R. Snodgrass

On Fri, 28 May 2004, Ed & Wendy Hauser wrote:

"... did a lot of research on and experimentation with human electrolytes
last summer, trying to get away from the sugar-loaded drinks like
Gatorade.  I found two things that work for me...."

Why do you want to limit your sugar intake during an endurance ride?

I like to limit my sugar intake at all times. I am very susceptible to sugar-rush, the high and low swings that Susan G talks about horses having <BG>, and I have problems with acid reflux when I consume high-sugar (including starchy) foods on an empty stomach. Drinking Gatorade or fruit juice has the same effect (something that has gotten worse as I've gotten older, not sure why).

I have learned that I keep my energy level up and feel best when I avoid sugar, or consume it only in small quantities along with some protein and/or fat (a piece of fruit with a chunk of cheese, for example).

--
Glenda R. Snodgrass
AERC #M18819