Re: [RC] one testicle colt - heidi

Please Reply to: Andrea horseyhousewife@xxxxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ======================================== I bought
a colt over the winter. Sweepstake nominated papers nice colt paid a bit
for him. Breeder is well known in my area. When I went to look at him
they told me that they tried to geld him but he wasn't ready yet. Told
me to do it in the spring. I have never owned a colt before. At the time
I thought, okay I will get him done in the spring. Well Vet says it
could cost me $1000 to $ 1500 because he needs surgery! Only one
testicle. He is now 14 months old. Anyone think there is hope of it
descending at this age? What about the people I bought him from any
responsibility on their part?

Several others have pretty well hit the high points here, but I'll add a
couple more bits...

First off, some colts do have the testicles up during their baby year, so
likely no way you can go back on them as having any responsibility.  They
wouldn't have known.

Second, keep tracking it this summer--it may yet drop this year.  And on
that same line, have him sedated--you may be able to feel it under
sedation where you can't find it when he is "awake."

And yes, as several others have stated, some colts that don't fully
descend their yearling year WILL still come down as two-year-olds--so I
wouldn't rush into cryptorchid surgery any time soon.  (And if it SHOULD
come to that, the poster who suggested seeking out a vet who can do the
procedure laparascopically had a good point--more and more things are able
to be done that way now, and that usually IS less risky.)

Heidi

Many of the endurance riders in our top echelons of competition, now and in
the past, exemplify the 'common man' not the hierocracy. It is this
possibility, this chance to come to the fore, that makes endurance
competition of the Aussie/American type so much more desirable to part of
the world.
~  Bob Morris