[RC] one testicle colt - Jonni Jewell

I'd talk to another vet.......the second one could still drop. If it does
not, there is a procedure I had done on my 4 year old horse, who had a
retained testicle. It was done with a laparoscope. "Laparoscopic Cryptorchid
Castration". They did a small slit inside one "thigh", and put the camera
in. Looked around, didn't find testicle. Did small slit on other "thigh",
and camera found testicle up near the abdomen. They inserted the surgical
tools, clipped, and removed it. Never did "cut him open". The testicle was
removed out the small slit. I think the cost was about $600, and that
included an overnight stay at the hospital. I have heard some horror stories
on the method where they cut them open and go digging around looking for the
wayward testicle. This was much easier on the horse.  If the horse is indeed
a cryptorchid, I'd look into this.

As far as the sellers being responsible....I'm not sure. I do know, at many
high end horse auctions, the sellers are required to tell folks if the horse
is a cryptorchid....for all that's worth.

Jonni

Of course things aren't perfect,  perfect doesn't exist on this earth.
Doesn't mean we won't go on trying to get better at what we do. Besides, if
everything was perfect today, what would you do tomorrow? Slamming each
other doesn't get anything done.
~  Dot Wiggins