Re: [RC] Humidity & Sweating - Truman Prevatt

The body sweats to cool itself through evaporative cooling. Water requires heat to go from a liquid phase to a gas phase. In evaporative cooling the water absorbs this heat from the skin ( and the lungs) thus cooling the animal. However, there is another factor. It is the ability of the air to hold more water vapor. This is measured by relative humidity. Air at 100% humidity cannot absorb more water vapor so evaporation will not take place - hence the ability of the animal to cool itself through evaporative cooling is lost.  The higher the humidity the less water that can go from the liquid stage to the gas stage - hence the less heat removed.

Since the body is still hot - it keeps sweating to cool itself. While there is some cooling through the lungs (why a lot of horses in the SE tend to develop the ability to pant) - it is minimal compared to the heat load a horse produces. Basically the way to look at it is evaporative cooling loses it efficiency as the humidity goes up to being totally worthless in very high humidity. The body still keeps pouring out the sweat since it has an automatic mechanism for cooling.

That's the reason in few words.

Truman

Kristen A Fisher wrote:
I have a question about fluid loss in humidity. Heat causes perspiration to cool the body. I didn't think that higher humidity causes more perspiration, it causes slower evaporation of that perspiration (making it look like more sweat than if it is arid/not humid because the sweat then evaporates rather than clings to your skin). So in effect wouldn't you/horse sweat the same amount at a certain temperature, but just less efficiently *cool* yourself/your horse in a higher humidity? I can't figure out why, then, there would be worse dehydration in more humid conditions. Maybe more overheating though.

Kristen