[RC] 100 mile musings - Laura Hayes

As Louise said, I remember the 100s better than the 50s also.

I have to have dry socks somewhere in the ride, other than that, the supplement 'Boost' and some protein, are the only other things I require.

My best 100 mile horse was Azzor Kishi, or OZ, as we called him.  He was quite laid back and when he was young I used to ride with friends and play a game that would make him pass others at any speed I asked - I had to use a stick at first!  He was just content to go along with the crowd.

He had what I called a "100 mile trot" where he would get into this even, relaxed trot and hold it there for miles and miles, not stressing himself or me.  I have ridden many speedier horses, but none who went along so effortlessly UNTIL this new mare I have, Bey Allure--hasn't done a ride yet, but she is going to XP with me.

Oz also traveled well- even alone- he never got worried or stressed.  I loved that attitude, and it sure made him easier to manage.  Really he spoiled me for years.  I started him as a 4 year old in fast 25 milers (remember, this is 1984!!) and he did 100 milers as a 6 year old.  I had to sell him but continued riding him for the fellow.  OZ went 3500 miles over 10 years and retired sound.  NOT a program I would recommend for the average horse!!!

Laura Hayes AERC#2741