[RC] Klickitat Trek and chapped lips - Becky Rohwer

 I just got back from the Klickitat Trek ride in Washington.  Even though
it drizzled off and on all day long it was a wonderful ride.  There was just
enough rain to keep the trails soft and the dust totally at bay but enough
sunshine to keep the spirits up.  A great big THANKS to Marilyn Milestone
for a great ride.  It was well organized and a lot of fun.

 I was wondering if anyone has experienced what I would call chapped lips
on their horse.  I've noticed this before on my mare but I guess this time I
am finally curious enough to inquire.  I'm sure it has something to do with
the bit.  The skin on her lower lip toward the back of her mouth has big
flaky patches of dead skin.  It doesn't seem to be sore, there is no blood
or scrapes.  And since I don't notice it all the time I guess that it
shortly flakes off and clears up after a ride.  Has anyone else experience
this?  Have any idea of the cause?  Is it something I should try to fix or
since she doesn't seem to be sore just leave it alone.  Could it have
something to do with the e-lites?

 Becky R. - Montana

If people would just think of the hoof as the foundation for the horse like
a house foundation.  when your horse plants his foot down in the ground and
pushes forward if the foot isn't 100% balanced your chances of injury go
up.
~  Paula Blair