[RC] re: what makes a 100 mile horse - Cindy Collins

Another little story:  One of the first clues I had that my current mare
would be a good 100 mile horse is that at her first endurance ride, not
only did she eat and drink like a pig, but she laid down and slept curled
up on her high tie the very first night!  She is not, and will never be,
fast, but she is a solid finisher on 100s.  We have attempted five 100
milers and finished three.  She never had any problems at all.  On one Big
Horn I was ill (surgery the following Monday) and was overtime at 75 miles
due to my health.  Frank S. did his best to get me and another gal
through, but even Frank can only do so much in the miracle department!
The other BH we didn't finish was last year and we lost one stirrup and
leather (talk about something you never thought would happen!) in the
canyons and couldn't make the time cut off at Horse Creek.  Anyhow, when I
saw how she relaxed at that first 50, I knew she would be a good 100 mile
horse.  Cindy

REAL endurance is taking your non-horsey family to a ridecamp with you!
~ Heidi Sowards