[RC] Lost Padres Long - GarnerT

I got back last night (Sunday) from the Lost Padres 2-day ride.  What an
awesome & challenging ride!  The first day was slow going because of the
rocks, rocks, & more rocks.  We also climbed a hill not to be believed!  In
fact, going home, we could see the slash on mountain that was the road we
had ridden up.  My husband, a nonrider, couldn't believe we went up it!  We
took our time on day 1, easybooted our horses, and finished late in the day.

Day 2 was even tougher.  We went out on the same trail, but instead of going
up that very tough, steep, slick hill, we went up a steep mountain.   Up,
up, up, and more up.  We finally ended up at a ranger station at about 8,000
feet.  Then we went down, down, down, down.  Near the end of the ride, we
had to climb out of the valley one more time.  We were worried about that
climb, it was really steep, but our horses had a lot left & navigated it
just fine.  One good thing about riding slow is you do have horse left!
Marci & Jane, way to set the pace!

There will probably be complaints about the ride (there always are), but I
found the ride doable.  This was my horse's 2nd multiday ever & only about
his 8th 50, so riding conservatively was key for him.  The trail was well
marked considering the terrain we covered & if you were quiet & listened to
the Duck at the ride meeting, everything was explained to satisfaction.  I
did hear that a lot of the LD riders missed a turn & did an extra 10 miles.
I saw the turn, it was clearly marked with flour - 50s one way, LD the other
way.  It was also stated at the ride meeting that the LD riders had to go up
& come down the same trail (for which the Duck apologized).  My husband
thinks a mule won for the LDs because he followed directions.  Way to go!

All in all, a tough ride, but what a feeling of accomplishment!  For those
who like an easy 50, don't do this ride.  For those who like to be
challenged & have prepared your horse, you'll love it!

Kathy Garner & Taz

There are few places where the horse does not fit in; at least in my world,
as delusional as that one may be.
~  Howard Bramhall