[RC] 100 mile horse characteristics - rides2far

what would you say about the horse, which at > some point in his career,
made you say - this horse is a hundred > miler.

His motivation was endless. I'd always wanted to do a 100 myself, but
hated to think of doing it to a horse...didn't want the horse to hate me.
Kaboot wanted to leave with every horse that left camp, even after he
finished the 50 if there was a 100 going on. Once I gave too many
probiotics and gave him a gassy colic at the 80 mile mark of a 100. He
lay down and got up a couple of times and I walked him, but the vets
didn't recommend any treatment. It passed after an hour or so and he ran
circles on the picket line every time another 100 went through camp. I
never had to *squeeze* to keep him moving on down the trail even on his
first 50. He was always in a hurry to get somewhere, and he had no clue
where or how far it was.

Or, is it more of the any horse can do a hundred miles with
proper training and a smart rider?

My first Arab was a 7mph horse...not especially motivated, a bit of a
dead head after the first 12 miles. If you didn't squeeze him forward he
eventually just started sort of trotting up and down instead of forward.
I sold him to a junior after 500 miles and she did another 600 or so on
him and then did a 100 at Biltmore which he finished just fine. He's not
a horse I'd have enjoyed doing a 100 on, but he didn't seem to have any
trouble doing it.

 I am willing to bet that there
are a few characteristics that are common to most 100 mile horses,
that show up early in a career, that make aiming for a hundred mile
ride within the grasp of it's rider.  ]

I only have experience with these two 100 milers, but as far as Kaboot
goes, he was not as Cindy likes to have especially easy to rate at the
start of a ride. He was a handful, but though he was doing his imitation
of a runaway I don't think his brain was ever fried. He could always eat.
In one of his last 100's he was flying along on the first loop and
grabbed some tall grass as banked into a turn. He was never going fast
because he was scared, he was just mad that other horses were getting to
go faster than him.

Not that many really good 100 mile horses are especially thin...though
Vali HiFayzena, (one of the best) was. For the most part they seem to be
a little heavier bodied and have room to carry some groceries along.

Right now I'm in the market for a 100 mile horse (maybe 2 since Josie & I
may get in a custody dispute over just one) and I'm trying to figure out
what to look for in a 100 mile horse. So when doing the webcast I really
looked analytically at the horses at Biltmore. If you haven't looked at
the photo gallery from the Biltmore Webcast go back and look. I tried
hard to get ya'll good conformation shots of the biggest dogs. I'll tell
ya, Super is a very middle of the road guy...nothing to the extreme.
Val's horse Shadon, and her backup "Iron Man" seemed to be more like
Pierez than the tall Bearcat O'Reilly types I thought she was going to.
Wave is substantial but not extreme. Timmy the same. Seems like Rita's
horse was a tall one more like Bearcat. I'm short. I'll take Super.

I have come to love the look of a well turned neck...not a show horse
neck but the neck of a horse who has been taught dressage, (look at the
photo of Dinah Rojek's horse). For a while right after the Pan Ams
Melissa Crain sent Charbiel (silver medal winner) to live with us and
Josie saw what it was like to ride a horse that was light and carried
himself well. Melissa is a very good rider and you could tell it by the
way Charbiel carried himself. I want to put that neck on our next horse.
I look at Kaboot and I'm not sure he could have had that neck. The chiro
showed me that he has big glands on either side of his neck that are sort
of tight and he's restricted when he bends there which might explain why
he's so violently opposed to a bit with leverage. I'd take another
Kaboot, but I'm really looking for a horse with the ability to bring that
nose in.

So, we're shopping...and then we want to take dressage, and it may be 2
or 3 years before we get any 100's so I won't be able to tell ya'll how
this works out for awhile.

But having only done 2 LD's I
have no idea what they might be.

Well, Melissa said she picked Charbiel because she liked the way he threw
his feed tub in the air. I think a lot of us ended up with the horses we
ended up with for reasons no better than that.

Angie

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
When you ask a Quarter horse for something he says - Sure -  and when you
ask an Arab for something he says  - Why? -
~  Heidi Smith