Fw: [RC] 100 mile horse characteristics - Dot Wiggins

----- Original Message -----
From: Jerry Kopp
Sent: Saturday, May 22, 2004 4:44 PM
Subject: [RC] 100 mile horse characteristics

Here's what I would like to know, for those horses who carried all you 100 mile riders, what would you say about the horse, which at some point in his career, made you say - this horse is a hundred miler.  Or, is it more of the any horse can do a hundred miles with proper training and a smart rider?  I am willing to bet that there are a few characteristics that are common to most 100 mile horses, that show up early in a career, that make aiming for a hundred mile ride within the grasp of it's rider.  But having only done 2 LD's I have no idea what they might be.

Roxanne
Kentucky

Lots of horses can do 25 miles (lets not go there again)
With training and conditioning and pacing, many horses can do 50 miles.
100 miles is a whole 'nother game.
Correct conformation, efficient way of travelling at all gaits,  eats, drinks, sensible,  (I didn't say nice, but it helps)       And that "What's around the corner, over the next hill" attitude.  Maybe the most important.

If the horse takes at lot of "support" ,special feeds, extra  careful electrolyte dosing,  has any interference problems,  or makes hard work of a 50,   this may not be a good 100 mile prospect.
JMHO