RE: [RC] Horses staying in shape and knees - Chris Paus

Quentin.. I am missing an ACL too, in my right knee,
the one with the arthritis.

I didn't get the ACL repair done when it happened. As
a result, years later, I'm fighting serious arthritis
because the ACL isn't there to keep the knee from
moving so much, and I'm NOT a candidate for a surgery
that's an alternative to TKR..because you have to have
the Cls in place to hold the spacer in .. dang it...

chris
--- Libby & Quentin Llop DVM <qhll@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dear Catfish:

    I did both of mine last Oct.  The collateral
ligaments tore.  I avoided
having to deal w/ inconvenient Dr. advice by not
visiting one.  (But I did
look at the ligaments with my ultrasound.)  Perhaps
your ligaments are more
severely damaged, so assessing the actual ligament/
meniscus damage is
important.  Shredded ligaments require surgery.
Ones that are like bowed
tendons on horse require physiotherapy.
    Assuming good fortune and your damage is the
later, I will relate what
worked for me.  Weight bearing was not painful, only
straightening the legs.
I found that altho walking was difficult (have you
ever tried to walk w/
both knees flexed?), riding was not, as when riding
ones knees are flexed.
The discomfort of pressure on the medial ligaments
disappeared quickly; I
think that, the massage of riding hastened the
healing; anticipating this I
got on a horse almost immediately, i.e. when the
'ice it' phase was over.
The week after my injury, I attended a veterinary
meeting of acupuncturists.
A couple of them did 'energy work' including the
Bowman technique, which I
found extremely helpful.  (In 'wayout' California,
this should be easy to
find.) The body is dumb.  It assumes that you are in
danger of doing again
what injured you in the first place and hence goes
overboard in protective
swelling.  Most of the pain is from the swelling.
Reducing it by massage,
energy work, and improving circulation will hasten
healing.  Energy work is,
in addition, helpful in reducing secondary problems
in other parts of your
body.  Expect a large bruise to form along the back
of your thigh.  Now
after 7 mo's the residual is a slight discomfort on
one medial ligament and
an inability to do unusual yoga like postures with
the knees.
    Good luck!.

Quentin

PS I want to add longeing to Jonni's