Re: [RC] Trail Savy - Susan Young

Are you looking down where she's going?  If so, STOP THAT!!

You'd be amazed how the position of your head affects your horse.  Just look up and press on.

If the problem isn't the rider, then have your vet check her over.  Horses, by nature, don't stumble and trip around; otherwise, they ARE the food chain for the real horse eaters out there.

I've got a gelding that will trip and stumble when he gets behind another horse.  The problem is, he's paying more attention to that horse than to where he's going.  Once he's out front or alone, he's fine.

Deblyons54@xxxxxxx wrote:
I have a Morgan mare that I've just started trail riding. She is absolutely terrible about watching her footing. She stumbled and trips over rocks and holes, and if she is excited or scared I think she would dive over a cliff. Of course, this is pretty dangerous. Any ideas what I can do to get this mare a bit safer? She was pasture raised but I've had many horses that were pasture raised that did just fine and were great trail horses. I don't have another saddle horse at this time so can't turn her loose or pony her. Thanks

Susan [Young], The Wicked Princess of Pink
Semper Obliquo (Always aside)

Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.

"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles, and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)