[RC] Steep hills/Jump training - Laurie Durgin

Yes, I thought I said to have a light or 2 pt. seat. (which by definition , means your weight is off your butt :0) down into your feet and I said to grab mane if necessary to help you balance. I have many a time , grabbed Rascals mane,loosened reins as we negotiate an uphill, either walking or trotting.Especially if it is real steep.
A light seat is weight into feet, folding forward over their center. A full 2 pt. is with butt off comletely, like riders going into a jump for those who don't ride english. They could watch some hunter or jumper riders as they approach a jump and begin the take off to see an illustration that might be helpful.
Also they can practice a 2 pt. in a flat area, even in a western aor endurance saddle for short spells, first walking, then trotting, that will help. Going over ground poles in 2 pt. reallly helps for what you meet on the trail with the uneven terrain too. Feels the same to me anyway!!

From: MtnRondi@xxxxxxx
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC]   [RC] Steep hills
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 12:21:16 EDT

In a message dated 5/20/2004 6:53:20 AM Pacific Standard Time,
ladurgin@xxxxxxx writes:
Also when going up. Fold from the Hip

This is correct, but you will have to pull your buttocks forward a little
also. Many times I have seen people fold at the hip but they leave their rear end
pushed back too far where it is hitting the cantle. Then they just fold over
the horse's neck. I think they should be pulling their buttocks forward
slightly and remain light on the horse and not dead weight flopped over the front
end of the horse. (Great exercise for the abs, by the way.)

A few years ago in Endurance News (I wish I had kept that issue) there was a
photo of Smokey Killen going over Cougar Rock on the Tevis ride. He was
absolutely in perfect harmony with his horse (in my opinion). He was up off the back
but not folded over the horse and he was light as a feather in his riding
style and had beautiful soft hands on the reins. It was a great photo and I try
to keep that image in my mind when scrambling up steep hills.

Bonnie
So. Calif.

I drink a 50/50 mix of rootbeer and soymilk at the vetchecks.
~  Libby Llop