[RC] Multi Use Trails - KimFue

I agree that every horse that uses a multi use trail should be taught to deal with and accept other trail users.  Most of the other users like mountain bikers, off road motorcyles, and backpackers that I have run into have been very understanding and patient when I am exposing a green horse to multi use trails.  It is the responsibility of the equestrian not choose the busiest time or most crowded time in the park to decide to introduce their green horse to new things.  When that horse is broke to bikes etc. the rider should do everything possible not to interupt or disturb the other users "park experience".

But, at least in the areas where I ride, there is absolutely no effort on the part of the California State Parks or National Park Service to educate the public about sharing trails with horses.  The state and national park service expect horseback riders to train their horses to accept everything from bikes to big wheels yet I guess they do not believe that the public needs any education about sharing the trails with horses, other then to yield.  They educate the park users about mountain lions, rattlesnakes, and coyotes (broshures and signage everywhere)  but never teach them how to react or behave around a horse.  Many of the visitors to the local state and national park are from urban areas that have never been around a horse.  I can't tell you how many close calls I have had with park users not because my horse misbehaved but a parent let their toddler run up under my horse or let a group of kids come running at the horse because they are so excited to see a real horse.  I always try to take the time to let other park users approach my horses and pet them in a safe manner even if that means I have to get off to ensure a safer environment.  I agree with Jonni that we do need to be ambassadors for our horses when sharing parks with other users.  But equestrians cannot educate the the average urban park user alone.  I also believe that the public has the responsiblity to be a little more educated when sharing trails/parks with the horses.  Park administrators should take some responsibility to share in that public education since they encourage the urban users to visit the state and national parks through advertising and public relations.