Re: [RC] Multi Use trails - Barbara McCrary

This is our policy when riding on shared trails:  As we see hikers coming, we slow our horses to a walk and pass them respectfully, say good day (or whatever seems suitable).  If we see bicyclists coming, I put up my hand as a signal to slow down, then talk to them as they pass and thank them for slowing, telling them I'm riding a green horse.  So far, we've not had any problems with interaction between any of us three types of trail users.  We don't intimidate hikers, and the bicyclists don't intimidate our horses.  Are we just lucky, or does courtesy have something to do with it?

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, May 21, 2004 5:47 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] Multi Use trails

My husband is an avid Mountain Biker so I have managed to get him to be a bit or an equestrian ambassador with other bikers.  It really helps if the bikers understand and are told in a polite way that horses are flight animals and some times if flight is not possible or suddenly startled they will fight.  I think once bikers understand that it is their safety as much as ours that we are concerned about they listen... in my experience anyway.

When I talk to many bikers they say that equestrians are so nasty to them on the trail. They really are surprised when I am friendly.  I think fear plays a huge factor in how equestrians react to bikers and anger never gets the message across.

I had a jogger with a baby jogging stroller run me off a trail.  He had NO intention of stopping his pace.  It was a single track trail with really no where to go.  Fortunately, I was riding my sensible gelding that went up the steep bank to the right calmly.  I calmly (believe me I wanted to scream) asked the jogger if he was at all concerned for his child's safety?  That stopped him.  I explained to him that many horses would have been extremely frightened by his approach and very likely could have ended up on top of his child in panic as there is no where else to go.   At first he grumbled, and said we shouldn't be on the trail.  I said but we ARE and as along as we are allowed to be we will be.  I told him if he isn't concerned for himself  then be concerned for his child.  He heard me, but only because I stayed calm and had a conversation with him... not a screaming match! .

Trails are more and more scarce.  We have to learn to share them or soon there wont be enough.

Jennifer

Jonni Jewell <jonnij@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think the key thing we all must remember when using trails that are open
to other types of users, is to be a good equestrian ambassador. If you have
trouble with someone on a bicycle on a trail they ARE allowed on, try to
politely educate them as to how to deal with sharing the trail with horses.
As Jim said, teach your horse to deal with what ever might be sharing the
trail. When you pass a hiker, bicycler etc. on the trail, say HELLO.
Comment on what a beautiful day it is to be out on the trails. Chat with
them when given the chance. Many of the other users are afraid of the
horses. Bike riders don't always know to say something when they pass. They
think the noise will spook the animal. If your horse kicks them as they
pass, I would not want to have it go to court, as you could be found at
fault for having an animal that kicks on a public! trail. (the laws can twist
things in directs one never expects) Explain to them to call out to a rider,
that they would like to pass when you have a chance. Suggest bells on their
bikes for the horses to hear.

If you have a HUGE problem with bike riders, then try to go to the local
bike shop and ask if you could leave some hand outs on how to work together
with horses on the trails. If there is a local mountain biking club, offer
to speak at a meeting. We need to always work WITH these other users, so to
not lose trail access all together. Don't make the other users thing that
equestrians are jerks.

Jonni

If people would just think of the hoof as the foundation for the horse like
a house foundation. when your horse plants his foot down in the ground and
pushes forward if the foot isn't 100% balanced your chances of injury go
up.
~ Paula Blair

ridecam! p.net information: http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/