[RC] The stuff you need, or NOT - Laura Hayes

I rode most of the day today and thought about alot of things, one of them was as follows:  I am, in general, a minimalist--I do admit to having a really cool vet cart with lots of things in it, but to tell you the truth, I am certain that all I need is some wear left on the horseshoes and a saddle that fits--everything else is gravy.  If the cart gets to the check, great, if not, I will be ok.  Heck, I have even done a point to point multiday alone with no crew at all.  I never train with a HRM and rarely wear a watch, I don't carry water or food or bandaids or solar blankets. I don't have sunglasses, gloves or a fanny pack--I have been know to stick my vet card in my bra.  The bottom line is:  I just wanna ride.

WELLLLL, I am going to do the big XP ride this year (5 weeks, 1250 miles) and have been told over and over about all the things I will need, so today I was adding it up.....

I have a Rino 130 GPS so I don't get lost.  I had to buy one for my crew as well, so they don't get lost---total here  $297.

There is now a hydration pack hanging off me - the desert is wicked, I hear:  $32

I have on a special sunscreen shirt that LLBean was kind enough to send me so I don't die of heat stroke:  $46 + shipping

The easy boots that I HAVE to have, were bought barely used on ebay for $60, but of course there is the foam...

I am trying to get used to wearing sunglasses with my helmet, but the cheap ones aren't comfortable: $49

The leased LQ trailer (I don't have a fancy one, and I have to keep my crew happy...) $1000

A BBQ grill that sports a cooler underneath:  $140

A new water tank plus the two 30 gallons that have always served me well:  $68

The new corral panels (ok, these I would have bought anyway):  $500

Cases of bottled water, easy to prepare foods, paper plates and stuff and aspirin:  at least $300

I am sure there is much more, but I think I am blocking that all out right now.  This is going to be the adventure of a lifetime and I can hardly wait, but REALLY, all I need is some wear left on the horseshoes and a saddle that fits, honest.  Watch the classifieds around mid August and I'll bet you can pick up some neat stuff cheap---

Laura Hayes AERC#2741