Re: [RC] [RC] re: any horse can do 25, etc. - Ed & Wendy Hauser

"... I have not seen any of the problems with LD that I
see people griping about here on RC..."

Things are different in UMECRAville.  Short CTR distances have always been
offered on the same venue as Endurance rides.  Many people ride both CTR and
Endurance on the same weekend.  When LD was first offered  no one worried
that some people would "go to fast", because the fast riders were
experienced and knew how to take care of horses.  (I can off hand think of a
number of MN horses that have been going fast for 5 or more years with no
problems.)  Newbe's are encouraged to start with CTR, where they can easily
be given a mentor, since everyone goes the same speed.  LD rides have
placements, and complete year end awards.  UMECRA has an excellent horse
mileage program, that recognizes 1000 miles horses.  All distance miles
count equally.

The bottom line is since many of the top riders ride Endurance, LD, and CTR
(often in the same year), nobody looks down on anybody else.  In the Midwest
it is quite usual for riders to win year end awards in both endurance and LD
or CTR.  Being able to compete two or more times on the same weekend sure
saves a lot of  money.  It is a good system.

The AERC would be a stronger organization if it developed a national CTR set
of rules, and encouraged ride managers to run rides with LD, CTR, and
Endurance all on the same venue. While expenses go up, more rides usually
means more riders and thus more money.  More money makes it easier for the
RM to have a positive cash flow.  A positive cash flow encourages the RM to
offer the ride next year.  More rides is a good thing.

DISCLAIMER:

I know NATRC is national, I don't like their rules.  The UMECRA web site
lists their rules, other sets of CTR rules exist that could also be used as
a model, I just happen to have had experience with UMECRA rules.  This type
of CTR is what I think the AERC should sanction.  I also know that many
regional organizations have their own CTR rules.  To implement national
rules, one would have to negotiate among the various bodies until a
compromise set of CTR rules would emerge.  I also am aware that some areas
would have problems with camp and park ride size limitations.  I know that
some newbes would still ride LD to fast etc., but most would choose to start
with CTR.

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx
406.642.6490

One of the great joys of being a pompous idiot is that you can do and think
whatever you want.
~  Homer Safferwiffle