From: "Cindy Collins" <ccollins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC]   re:  any horse can do 25, etc.
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 10:28:12 -0600

Just fyi-`When I say that any sound horse can do 25 miles, I am saying
that physiologically, many of my friends who ride their horses regularly
whether it be in dressage, eventing, trail riding, etc. could take their
horses and walk, trot, (and canter a little) through a 25 mile ride within
the 6 hour limit with no problems or harm to their horses.  I am not
talking about some "cowboy" pulling a fat horse, that hasn't been ridden
in months, out of the pasture and "over and undering" the horse through a
25.  One of the reason so many of us "old timers" detest 25 milers is
because that's the type of behavior we believe 25 milers bring out in
folks...it is because doing 25 miles is within the reach of almost any
sound horse of any breed.  There is something about bumping up the
distance to 50 miles that becomes "endurance" and only a relatively few
horses can go that distance.  (Remember, we're around endurance horses
constantly and we get a skewed view of horse flesh...our horses are
exceptional at distance).  So, some local yokel is less likely to try a
50, but may try a 25 miler on a whim with no education or preparation.
Getting angry at folks for stating the truth is silly.  But, most of our
arguments here are just that!  Cindy

We are talking about all the tools we can use to keep our horses safe and
alive at the rides. Training/conditioning is one of the best tools
available. It makes us better horseman and women, it benefits our horses
and could quite possibly be the key to preventing most crashes.
~ Lisa Salas - The Odd Farm

Learn to simplify your finances and your life in Streamline Your Life from MSN Money. http://special.msn.com/money/0405streamline.armx

Many of the endurance riders in our top echelons of competition, now and in
the past, exemplify the 'common man' not the hierocracy. It is this
possibility, this chance to come to the fore, that makes endurance
competition of the Aussie/American type so much more desirable to part of
the world.
~  Bob Morris